Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Flashback and Student Teaching


I've been thinking about how I started this blog for a few different purposes. 1. I want to bring glory to God 2. I want to share what God is doing in my life 3. I want to encourage you to Pursue Him in your life That being said, I have decided to blog on Friday nights giving a Friday Flashback about what happened during the past week in my life. For most of you, we were friends on Facebook, and you'd see the status updates I'd have throughout the week. Without Facebook, I believe it is fair to share what God is doing in my life through a little recap every week.

That being said, here goes my first Friday Flashback. I started Student Teaching this week and it was very challenging and exhausting. Never having worked a full time (40 hour week) job before, I now have a new appreciation for those of you who do. Now I can say TGIF and truly mean it. Despite adjusting to a new, full-time schedule, I love student teaching and I look forward to having my own classroom one day.


I began Monday with a morning devotional titled Why God Made Teachers. It followed with this: "God understood our thirst for knowledge and our need to be led by someone wiser; He needed a heart of compassion, of encouragement and patience... someone who could see potential and believe in the best of others, so He made teachers. God also reminded me of 1 Timothy 4:11-16 and Philippians 1:6. He blessed me with a friend who prayed for me to be a shining light at school. The first 8 weeks of Student Teaching, I will be at Solana Vista Elementary School in Solana Beach Unified School District. I was placed in a 2nd grade classroom. I arrived at school a little before my Cooperating Teacher, and the kind Librarian gave me a tour and introduced me to anyone who was already on campus. My Cooperating Teacher and I talked before the bell rang for school to start and she said that this week I will plan on observing her to learn how she teaches so that I can teach in a similar way and the kids receive consistency. I was so amazed at how incredibly blessed I was to have such a phenomenal Cooperating Teacher. Her teaching style and classroom management parallels with exactly how I aspire to teach. She is very positive and enthusiastic. She is sweet and a hard worker. On Monday night, I chose to attend a New Comer's Night at North Coast Calvary Chapel Carlsbad, since I've been going to that church for about a month now. I met two women and learned more about their core beliefs and values. I felt more at peace with staying at this church. I believe my core values and beliefs really match with theirs, and they have many missions opportunities. (One million dollars each year is given out towards Missions and Missionaries who are part of the church)

On Tuesday, my Cooperating Teacher brought me coffee from Starbucks. It was such a treat! She gets it everyday and asked the day before what things I like from there. My Cooperating Teacher let me pull students aside today to assist them with their work. She also lost her voice, so I helped her with reading some student work aloud to the class. I found out today that the teacher in the room next to mine, goes to NCCC Carlsbad also. This was exciting news because a couple friends prayed for connection and other Christian people around me during my student teaching time. I learned about my Cooperating Teacher's family today too.

On Wednesday, the students have what is called a Wheel Day. This means from 11:20-2:40, the students rotate to teachers such as art and science. During this time, the teachers in grade 2 prep and meet to talk about whatever is necessary. My Cooperating Teacher showed me how she maps out each week and I was able to write down the daily schedules in my planner. We also mapped out what groups I would begin teaching next week, and what I would be teaching them. At the last minute, I offered to babysit for my Cooperating Teacher this evening because she has been sick and couldn't make her doctor appointment without a sitter. I went over there after school, watched her two adorable kids (2 years and 5 months) and then she treated me to dinner. It was a little weird to be babysitting and going out to dinner with my Cooperating Teacher on the third day of student teaching, but I'm such a personable person that I loved it. I got home around 6:45pm and chose to meet my friend for coffee at 7pm. I planned to head home at 9pm and left at 9:20pm, which meant another late night.

On Thursday, my Cooperating Teacher bought me Starbucks again. I didn't journal this day, so I can't really remember details from the day. It was another exciting and fun day of observing and assisting those who needed extra help as the teacher directed me. She taught me how to use a grade book that is on the computer and I input some grades. This evening, I chose to go to the Young Adult group at NCCC Carlsbad to check it out. They were wrapping up a series, and ending with worship and Sitting at His feet. I really enjoyed it. There were not too many people there, but those who were there were very real. God spoke to me SO clearly that night about how I need to put Him first. This week I tried to pursue Him but I was unsuccessful because I did not pursue Him first in everything. Someone mentioned a hindrance that keeps us from pursuing Him is that it takes effort and time. I totally related this, and I can honestly say I've been lazy this week. The worship song that says "I want to take your Word and shine it all around, but first help me to live it Lord" touched my heart in that I realized I cannot shine His word and be a light if I am not living it.

On Friday, I attended "Friday Forum" with my teacher. This is where the teachers can ask the Principal any questions they have and the floor is open for discussion. I finished my last day of observing my Cooperating Teacher and was given the opportunity to work with some students who are at a lower level. I reviewed money (the value and names of coins) with two girls, and helped about 7 people complete their Language Arts packet. Today, I took home the two Teacher's Manuals so that I can prepare for the lessons that I am teaching next week. I get to teach the highest level for Language Arts next week in small groups. I also have the privilege of teaching the Vocabulary Books and a Math lesson on comparing money amounts. I'm very excited! So, one week down, 7 more to go at Solana Vista!  I have a lot to do this weekend, but the Lord is so good because He cancelled the babysitting job that I had for tomorrow, which brings me peace knowing I need to prepare for Monday and catch up on my daily readings in the Bible.

As I conlcude this Friday Flashback, I realize there are many changes that need to be made next week. I need to do less in the evenings. I need to go to bed earlier. I need to pursue Him however He reveals that to me in the short time that I have during the week. I need to set my priorities and stick to them. I need to sit at His feet in humility the moment I wake up in the morning. If it weren't for my perseverance in pursuing Him in the past with my teaching credential tests, I would not be student teaching right now. I encourage you to pursue Him and persevere in areas that you are struggling in because He can help you reach your dreams as He did for me. He is faithful and has your BEST in mind. The first step though, is pursuing Him which will take effort and time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. What a gift you will be to your current and future students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Katie! So glad the Lord blessed your first week - and yes - go to bed earlier - still trying to work on that after all these years. Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete