Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy NEW Year!

New: Fresh; Original; Different than before; Unfamiliar

This morning I woke up in a cheerful mood. I kept thinking to myself, it's not just a new day, but it's a new year! For some reason I became really excited about this and was thinking about how I cannot wait to accomplish stuff I've been putting off for a while and make good changes this year. It made me wonder what the word new really means. So, I start off greeting you with a Happy New, Fresh, Original, Different than before, and Unfamiliar 2011! As I personally reflect back on 2010, I recognize that God did some amazing things in my life. I graduated from College, was in two weddings, ran a 5k, went to Africa, and passed all of my credential tests! These are all great things, but of course my life isn't perfect and I feel it's only fair to be honest about something negative that happened in 2010. Unfortunately, I gained some weight and went up one size and weigh the most I have in my life. I've reached a point where I'm uncomfortable with my body and need to make appropriate changes. That being said, I will change my eating habits as well as exercise more frequently and surrender any struggles with this to God, relying on Him to help me.

I also reflect on how new years resolutions are made and most times not kept throughout the year. I recognize that I can make as many new years resolutions as I want, but I need to be more realistic with myself. In 2011, I'd like to learn how to sow (at least put buttons back on a jacket or coat) and I'd like to learn how to cook. These are the two practical things I'd like to learn this year. Of course there is also the usual eat healthier and exercise more. On a spiritual level, I'd like to worry less and pray more. I'd also like to surrender specific areas in my life to God that I spend too much time thinking about. I'd like to pursure Him, not him. God has shown me that I tend to pursue him and not Him. I desire and long to be in a relationship and meet my future husband, but He's revealed to me many things about this (see future blog) and I need to be obedient. I'm so thankful for how often God speaks to us when we pursue Him. I also look back in my journals and read about a struggle I had or a circumstance and find that most of the time it is followed with a scripture, worship song, or word from someone that directly encourages me in the area I was struggling with. God is so faithful.

This year I've decided to date God. This may sound silly to some of you, but I realized I need to go on dates with God more often. I've done it sometimes where I'll go to the beach and spend time with Him in the word and journaling. When I was thinking about it, I wondered what is the purpose of dating? To me it seems the purpose of dating is getting to know someone. I realize that I know some things about God, but I'd love to learn more about Him as I pursue Him. When I go on dates with God, I must use that time to really get to know Him. I know it can be easy to spend time with God and focus on our needs, tell Him things we are struggling with, pray over certain circumstances, etc. However, dating God means I am making an effort to get to know Him and the only way to do that is by reading His word. God has recently placed it on my heart to spend time recognizing and meditating on his characteristics and qualities such as compassion, loving, kind, slow to anger, etc. My desire and hope is to focus on one characteristic each date with God by reading my Bible to find scriptures and truths of examples where God puts these characteristics into action. I can't wait! :) Most likely, I'll end up blogging about what God speaks to me on our dates, so you will hear all about it. ;) (In case you were wondering)

As I conclude, I encourage you to continue pursuing Him in every area of your life. Recognize that this is a new, fresh, original, unfamiliar, different than before year and thank God for a new start. Finish the things you've started. Do what you have been putting off. Read your Bible daily. Include God in every aspect of your life. Never stop praying. Stop looking back and start looking forward. Walk in the abundant life that God offers you. Be strong in the Lord.

Here are some scriptures that hopefully encourage you as you begin 2011:

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!" Isaiah 43:18-19

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment