Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's all coming together.

Often times, we are in a situation and don't understand why or what is going on at the time. That is exactly where I was at about six months ago, in January 2011. I knew God was calling me to return to Africa, but I didn't know all that has happened over the last several months would be the outcome of that purpose.

It all began when I felt like I hit a wall in my spiritual walk with God. I wasn't growing very much and I started seeking Him for guidance. I knew I wanted to return to Africa, and I knew the church I was attending at the time (theMovement) was not big on National Missions, so I sought the Lord's guidance about where He wanted me to be. Little did I know what was to come by simply asking and being open to God's plan. Soon after praying, God told me to stop serving at this church. I didn't understand why, still. I loved the kids, I loved the people, I loved serving. But, I also love obeying God, so I took one step at a time. After that, He told me to stop going to the Bible Study I was attending, and the women in my Bible Study were in full support of this decision. They were the ones who said I needed to convince myself that it was okay for me to move into this so called new season with God. I was upset because I don't like change and I was afraid I would lose relationships/friendships. Soon after this I felt like the Lord was telling me my season/time was up at the Movement church. It was so hard for me to hear that from God and I honestly didn't know how to take it all in. I was upset because I had grown so much there over the course of three years and I loved the people. But I also knew it was time. I felt more disconnected (which I believe God did to make it a bit easier for me to move forward) and received the closure I needed through a divine appointment with the Pastor and receiving a blessing from the Pastor's wife.

The next step on this journey was to "church hunt". Well, I checked out a new church in the area (North Coast Calvary Chapel Carlsbad) and felt like it was a good fit for me. I really enjoyed everything about it. It especially had Mission Trip Opportunities, which was the biggest thing that was drawing me to it. I had a few friends who were attending this church and it was nice to have that set in place already. Well, it wasn't long before I felt the Lord tell me not to get too comfortable at this church. And so, I continued to ask God where He wanted me to be going to church. In the midst of all this, God told me "It's not about finding the 'right church' or 'best fit for you', it's about seeking me in Spirit and Truth".

A friend of mine asked me why I never checked out her church, Vista Assembly of God. She encouraged me to go check it out and I felt a strong urgency to be there. The Lord told me very specifically to go to this church by myself on a specific Sunday. I felt very uncomfortable at Vista Assembly and had never been to a church like it before. People were dancing in the front, speaking in tongues, and the lights were dim with the atmosphere like a concert. I didn't know how I felt about it, but I enjoyed the message. I knew the Lord wanted me to keep going back to this church despite my uncomfortableness with it, though. Every week, the sermon aligned with exactly what I was going through at the time. I went to the Pastor's Chat and felt really welcomed. A majority of my Ghana team attends Vista Assembly. It wasn't long before I began calling this my "home church" and consider it just that. I feel very comfortable and welcome there every week and I continue to grow on a whole new level in my relationship with God. At first I didn't want to go to this church because I didn't want to become a "crazy", which is a name I came up with myself for some reason. I was worried about what people would think of me. I was not even sure if I believed in the so called Supernatural. It was all new to me. But, as God was aligning this with other things in my life, the weekly sermon was exactly where I was at, and I saw miracles before my eyes, I could not deny the power of God that was present at this church, His Hands and Feet, and my life. You can call me a "crazy" now, you can call me weird, you can call me a Jesus Freak...whatever you want, but I know this is real and true and I am not ashamed. :) After being immersed in this and seeing a new side of God, I love it!

Another thing that has come together with God's purpose for me is my friends/mentors ministry, His Hands and Feet. This ministry sets out to equip people to be the Hands and Feet of Jesus Christ, learning to use the gifts God has given us and activating them. I remember very well when I attended the first meeting that someone said something about three months. At that time, I nudged my friend telling her that we will be leaving for Africa in exactly three months. God brought about this ministry at the time that I needed it to equip me to be the Hands and Feet of Jesus Christ in Ghana. And, here I am, equipped and ready to go, three months later. :)

Throughout the last six months, I have grown tremendously. I have had to rely on God like never before. One of the biggest and hardest things for me has been not being "connected". I believe God pulled me from relationships so that I could learn to rely on Him and Him alone. After all, that is what life is like as a Missionary. I did not get connected at Vista Assembly because I knew I would be gone for the entire summer. I did, however, begin to take a class there that has been equipping me even more as I prepare to go move to Ghana for the summer.

Another thing that came to mind as I reflect on the last six months is how everything did come together. The teachings at Vista Assembly of God and His Hands and Feet go hand in hand. Both teach you how to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit and listening to God's voice so that you can be the Hands and Feet of Jesus by putting your faith into action. Both teach that God moves in the Supernatural, and that is where we can move, too because we have His Spirit in us. After all, our faith is based on the fact that Jesus rose from the grave, and that is supernatural in and of itself! :)

When I began this new season in my life six months ago, I had no idea all of the above would come of it. It was challenging to go through so many changes. It was hard. It was sad. It was frustrating. But, now I can look back and it make sense. I get it now! God pulled me from one church, moved me to another, planted me at my final church all because He wanted to prepare me and equip me for what He has in store for me this summer in Ghana as a Missionary. I can now go to Ghana in a new confidence that I didn't have before, that God is with me and nothing will harm me, that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is in me, that I have authority to trample over the enemy, that healing and miracles are easy peasy for God. I've learned so much more about His character and I expect BIG things in Ghana.



If you are going through anything that is difficult, and you are battling with God trying to figure out why you are going through it, step back and rest in Him, knowing that you may not know at the time all the answers, but rest assured, one day it will all come together and you will be able to look back and see it clearly like I have with so many changes in so little time. Pursue Him as you seek to follow His voice and will for your life, and watch as He opens doors and blesses you beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment