Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, November 14, 2011

Pray for Kofi




Please pray for Kofi. Kofi is a man I met during the five weeks I lived in Ghana. He is a man of God. A teacher at a local public school. A tutor at the Orphange I lived at. Kofi is not just any teacher, he is a great teacher, who doesn't "cane" (beat with a stick) his students, which is very uncommon. He came over a few times when I was living at the Orphanage to tutor some of the kids who lived there. He has a big heart for teaching and for children, which as you know I do, too so I can't even imagine being in his condition.

I was somewhat clueless to many things in Ghana when I lived there and honestly remember seeing Kofi come over to the Orphanage to tutor, but I didn't know him personally that well. I will never forget one day when I was walking home from church with all 23 kids from the Orphanage and one of the kids told me we needed to go to their teacher's house. I remember being confused but did as directed and went with the flow. People in Ghana are so kind and welcoming. They said the teacher wanted us to pray for him. I didn't know anything about him or what had happened, but willingly stepped into his small house. We all somehow managed to fit into this very small room (probably about a little smaller than a standard living room here) He was laying down in the position of the picture above and I was saddened to see the condition of his knee. I was still unsure as to what exactly happened and I didn't even really understand it all. But, I knew this man had faith in God, wanted to be healed, and was hindered by whatever had happened to his leg. He could not get up or move except sit up a little as pictured above. He was stuck in a very small room with concrete walls and nothing to do. I began praying for him as all the children surrounded, bowing their heads to join me in prayer. I asked one of the kids from the Orphanage to pray for their teacher and one of the older boys proceeded to do so. The presence of God was in this tiny room and it was such a special moment to be able to pray for this man with ALL the kids at the Orphanage by my side. These kids really love their teacher and tutor. I was blessed to be part of such a neat experience, yet still heartbroken for this man. He had incredible faith in God.

Today I talked with Becka, my friend I met in Ghana who was volunteering at the same time at me at the Orphanage. Becka is such a great friend becase she always gives me the updates from Ghana since I was lame and didn't get anyone's contact information before I left. Becka shared with me today that Kofi had to have his leg amputated today. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad thing because I thought maybe he'd be able to be more mobile now. Well, I was wrong. Becka said it's a bad thing because it means he is in a lot of pain and unable to get the further treatment he needs. I thought he could simply use crutches or a wheel chair or something, but duh Katie, he lives in Ghana, not America. Becka quickly reminded me that the resources are not easily accessible and the finances are slim to none in regards to receiving the real support he needs. This broke my heart.

With Kofi's amputated leg and condition that he is in, he is unable to teach and tutor, basically preventing him from working. That means that he is hindered from many things- his finances, his job, and using the gifts God has given him. It also means the the kids at the Orphanage are without a tutor, meaning they are not receiving the best education possible. I cannot even imagine the sorrow he must be experiencing. And here I am, focusing on my problems which entail trying to figure out God's perfect will for my life and battling with my time. What a wake up call!

Please keep Kofi in your prayers. Prayer is the best thing you can offer someone. For strength. For peace. For encouragement. For him to continue to dig deep in His relationship with God through terrible circumstances. For miracles. For God to provide and direct the finances and ability to receive a prosthetic leg so that He can live a normal life again as a teacher, tutor, and man of God. Thank you for your support.


No comments:

Post a Comment