Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, November 19, 2011

I'm Thankful For: The VanCleave Family

This month helps us remind us to be thankful. I would like to start making tributes in my blog for people I am thankful for and share with you a little about them- how we met, what I think of them, and why I'm thankful for them. Starting with: The VanCleave Family



Disneyland 2009: Me, Kathy, Matt, and Lily (missing their newest addition)


How we met: I met the VanCleave family in 2005 when I was a freshman in college. My friend Brittany invited me to the church they recently started that was college-aged. I wasn't really connected in a church anywhere, so this was a great fit for me. Kathy was pregnant with Lily at the time and Matt was the pastor at the church called Cephas Road. I began attending "Book Club", a small group of co-ed peeps meeting once a week studying different Christian books. Shortly later they had their first daughter, Lily, who I soon began caring for as a nanny.



 I'll never forget the one night at Book club when Matt had something to share with the group. He didn't end up sharing and I think I emailed with him jokingly saying something like It's not like you'd be moving or anything anyways, right? Come to find out...that's exactly what happened. The following week he shared with the book club that he accepted a job as a Youth Pastor in the Bay Area. I was heartbroken and super sad. I loved this family so much so that I went to the degree of looking into schools up north so that I could move closer to them. I didn' realize that them moving would cause me to find a new church and begin growing in my faith like never before. All this time Matt and I had been meeting and he was mentoring me and speaking into my life. In the process, I became Lily's nanny as Matt commuted and Kathy continued working down here. Eventually, they sold their house and moved up to the Bay area. I have been extremely blessed to have continued my relationship with them and I consider them family. I've been able to visit them about once a year and within the past two months see them when they've come down to San Diego to visit. God knows I need me some VanCleave time :)

I want to share a little about each person in their family and then share some pictures from over the years.


Me and Matt at Disneyland watching Kathy and Lily ride Dumbo
 Matt: Matt is such an influential man of God in my life. He is my old pastor, my mentor, my friend. He is wise. I've always looked up to Matt and admired how he leads his family, how he loves his wife, how he fathers his children. I am very thankful to have known Matt VanCleave and continue to have relationship with him and his amazing family. I remember meeting Matt for coffee a few times to seek guidance. I don't actally even remember (I have a bad memory, lol) what we met for or why, but one thing I will never forget. Matt told me when I was dating my high school boyfriend of 5 years, about 2 1/2 years into our relationship (can't believe I let it linger so long), that if my boyfriend wasn't going to church at the time, what would change that 10 years from now? It hit me hard but it made sense. He basically encouraged that I break up with my boyfriend at the time. He told me he wanted to tell me that the first time we met for coffee, but he knew he needed to gain my trust in him first. (Now, that's wise!) I also remember when I was not passing my tests for the Teaching program and Matt texted me saying: Maybe God has a different plan for you. It was really difficult to read and think about, but I knew that this is what triggered me to get on my knees and cry out to God, seeking His plan for my life, asking Him to help me pass my tests if it be His will that I become a teacher. Matt has been there for me countless times. He's taught me so much. Matt is a great example of a man of God, who cares deeply about the lives of those around him and invests deeply in strengthening their relationships with God and others. Matt will be the person doing the ceremony when the day comes that I get married because he means so much to me. Matt has been such a blessing to me. Love you, Matt!!


Kathy: Kathy is an amazing woman of God. She is like no other. Kathy has such a calm-spirit and there is such a sense of peace that you feel when around her. Kathy has also been there countless times for me. She always answers the phone right when I need to talk. She never fails to be a great listener and knows I'm very chatty. (You know how they say, "chatty kathy", well, in our case, it's always "chatty, katie") Kathy has encouraged me over and over again. Kathy and I have one thing in common: we love sweets- Ice cream in particular :) So, without fail, whenever I visit them, we get frozen yogurt and or ice cream. Kathy knows me so well and loves me for who I am. Kathy is such a loving mother and wife. She submits to her husband. She cares for her girls to the best of her ability. I have had a lot of experience with child care and thought maybe I'd learn through my experiences how to parent my children, yet I have learned so much from Kathy. Kathy is so sweet. She also genuinely cares about others around her and their relationships with God, just as her husband does. She genuinely cares for her family. She genuinely cares for her patients. (She is a nurse practictioner) Kathy always makes me smile. :) I love spending time with her and she is such a blessing to me! Love you, Kath!!!


Matt, Kathy and I at a friend's wedding in San Marcos...shortly after they moved

Matt and Kathy: Matt and Kathy have been such an example to me. I look up to them dearly (have I said that enough yet?) They have shown me what it looks like to have a God-centered marriage. They have taught me how to parent your children in such a way that I've never seen before. They have such a calm-spirit about them that is so refreshing. They are a true picture of being one. I ask Matt something, and if I go to Kathy for advice, she will respond with the same thing. ;) I have never seen them argue or yell at each other. (And I've spent significant amounts of time staying with them each time I come visit over the past few years) Their communication seems so simple and easy. (I suppose that's what happens after 10 + years of marraige..but I kid you not, their relationship with each other is very unique) There is noone like them and I love them so much. *Thank you Matt and Kathy for being there for me so much and for showing such a great example to me in so many ways.

 
Matt + Kathy = Lily  Oh, how I love Lily. I've had the pleasure of  watching Lily since she was about 10 months old and now she is almost 6 years old! Lily and I have so much fun together. She is such a joy to be around! Lily always finds something to laugh about or says something funny. She is super cute! Lily has her own personality. She is so active and loves to be doing something. Lily is very unique. I love Lily so much! :) Lily loves to dress just like me as you can see in the picture below from my last visit.   

                          


And then came Amryn: Amryn was adopted into the VanCleave family almost one year ago. (This Christmas) She is absolutely adorable and she came from Ethiopia. Amryn fits right into the VanCleave family and is also a joy to be around. She smiles and laughs often and is very intelligent. Amryn is very blessed to be part of such a loving family.












1 comment:

  1. Katie Elder, you are so kind! We all love you so much!

    ReplyDelete