Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Idols

What do you think about when you hear the word IDOL? Personally, I think the prime definition of an "idol" is anything that we put BEFORE God. The concordance defines an idol as "an image used as an object of worship; false god". This led me to look up the definition of worship which says "to express praise and devotion." Idolatry is defined as "blind worship or admiration of an undeserving object." I believe we all have stuff that we idolize, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Itt may be an object, or it may be something else. I tend to idolize a relationship with a guy because I get so wrapped up in it and distracted that it separates me from my relationship from the Lord and keeps me from pursuing Him wholeheartedly. (At least this is how I've been in the past with relationships and thankfully knowing this now will help with future relationships.) Another thing I sometimes idolize is facebook. I often find myself spending time on it and then wonder where the time went. I recognize that facebook is not an idol for me unless I am going on it when I feel that God has told me not to because He wants me to spend time pursuing Him and reading His word or doing something else that will bring Him glory.

The Old Testament talks about Idols often. I'm reading through the Bible with a group of friends, and being in Ezra (still the Old Testament) has revealed a lot to me about idols and what I idolize. Wow, God is so incredible-I literally just flipped through both my Bibles trying to find a specific scripture, with no luck. Then, I opened one once again knowing I underlined it somewhere and flipped right to it! :) In the Old Testament, the Israelites spent a lot of time worshipping "gods" which are false idols because there is only one true God. God tells them multiple times to leave those idols/gods behind and turn to Him. He finally sends them 10 plagues in order for them to see who He is and understand that He wants them to draw near to Him and worship Him...not the idols. What idols do you have in your life that God is asking you to turn away from so that you can worship Him alone? Are you being obedient? Take action. What He offers you is WAY better than what you are idolizing that may bring temporary satisfaction/fulfillment.

Sometimes, we can be given something and make it an idol. For example, I tend to find myself being consumed by something if it is a big decision, creating it to be an idol. When I wasn't sure about whether I wanted to switch churches or not, it was constantly on my mind. I let it consume me, literally, until I finally surrendered it to the Lord and heard from Him about what He wanted me to do. It took time though for me to reach that point. Instead of trusting in the Lord to lead me with this decision and speak to me in His perfect timing, I caused this decision to be an idol. This reminds me of the verse in Isaiah 55:8 that says "For my thoughts are not your thoughts neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord." During this time, I thought that it would be best for me to switch churches, yet God showed me that He wanted me to stay at my current church and He changed my heart towards it. He showed me that I just need to make a change and rest, taking a break from serving in Kids Ministry because I've been doing it faithfully for over two years and need to rest. That was not the answer I was expecting to hear from Him! In order to prevent creating a big decision in the future becoming an idol, I must stop and surrender it to the Lord, trusting that He will reveal to me His will in His timing and I need to be patient.

Idols get in the way of our walk with God. They are a hindrance/wall when we are pursuing Him. God's word says in 2 Kings 17:12 "They worshipped idols, though the Lord had said 'You shall not do this' and again in 2 Kings 17:33 "They worshipped the Lord, but they also served their own gods". A few nights ago I anticipated writing this blog, and I caught myself doing just this. I chose to go on facebook, and I kid you not..I forgot everything I wanted to write in my blog after that. It was like a punishment from the Lord showing me 'Katie, you cannot worship both facebook and me. I told you not to go on there so that you can write your blog, and you disobeyed so now you will not remember what you wanted to write about in your blog at this time'. I was so frustrated, but I deserved it! It did catch my attention so I'd remember how important it is to Puruse Him and be obedient with what He places on my heart.

So, how do we prevent making idols or idolizing something? Simple...Pursue Him. Oh wait, I said earlier that even then idols are a hindrance to our walk with God. Well, pursue Him in the midst of it. When you begin to catch yourself idolizing something, bring it to the Lord in prayer. Have faith and trust Him to help you turn away from whatever it is that you are putting before Him. Open His word and read the Bible to receive truth. Be humble and acknowledge that it is a sin and give it to God. Repent and receive forgiveness and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment