Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, November 2, 2012

Do not worry.

WORRY does you no good!!!


We are instructed not to worry from Jesus himself in Matthew 6:25-34. This morning God led me to this part of my Bible and I felt so encouraged as I sat and soaked it all in. Sometimes I think we can know a passage like this in our minds but not in our hearts, which is why there isn't true transformation. Although we might have the scripture memorized, we don't actually live according to it. Recently I heard a song by Sanctus Real titled "Promises" that reminds us to hold on to the promises of God. (see youtube video below to listen to it) When we truly hold on to the promises that God gives us through His Word, our hearts, minds, and lives will change. God didn't give us His Word to simply check it off the to-do list, but to help us, strengthen us, encourage us, and build us up. Join me in holding on to the promise of not worrying. I will share a couple of scriptures and words from my Study Bible that have encouraged me and I hope they do the same for you.

Before I go any further though, I have to confess: I am a worry wort. I try not to be, but to be completely honest, I often worry about many things. Even though I've had many opportunities to trust God and learn how trustworthy He is so there is no need to worry, I still choose to worry sometimes. But since turning 25, I really feel like something shifted. I am a new me! haha I do not want to affiliate with "the old Katie" anymore. Therefore, I'm professing that I am not going to be a worry wort any longer. I am going to trust God because He works all things together for my good and He is trustworthy.

"Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34

"Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Below are the notes from my Study Bible regarding worry:

7 Reasons NOT to worry:

1. The same God who created life can be trusted with the details of your life.
2. Worrying about the future hampers your efforts for today
3. Worrying is more harmful than helpful
4. God does not ignore those who depend on him
5. Worrying shows a lack o faith in and understanding of God
6. Worrying keeps us from real challenges God wants us to pursue
7. Living one day at a time keeps us from being consumed with worry

*Because of the ill effects of worry, Jesus tells us not to worry about those needs that God promises to supply. Worry may (1) damage your health (2) disrupt your productivity (3) negatively affect the way you treat others, and (4) reduce your ability to trust in God

*Here is the difference between worry and genuine concern- worry immobilizes, but concern moves you to action.

*To "seek first the kingdom of God above all else" in your life means to put your thoughts with his desires, to take his character for your pattern, and to serve and obey him in everything. What is really important to you? People, objects, goals, and other desires all compete for priority. Any of these can quickly become most important to you if you don't actively choose to give God first place in every area of your life.

*Planning for tomorrow is time well spent; worrying about tomorrow is time wasted. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference. Careful planning is thinking ahead about goals, steps, and schedules, and trusting in God's guidance. When done well, planning can help alleviate worry. Worriers, by contrast, are consumed by fear and find it difficult to trust God. They let their plans interfere with their relationship with God. Don't let worries about tomorrow affect your relationship with God today.

I want to conclude with something I've heard many times and I'm not sure who to quote, so don't give me credit. It gets me every time and reminds me how worry really does us no good!

"We often worry about things that don't even end up happening"

No comments:

Post a Comment