Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Start Somewhere

Do you ever think about all the things you want to do yet somehow never make time to do them? I find myself doing this quite often. Sometimes I become overwhelmed with how many different things I want to do that I sit and dwell on which one I should do instead of simply starting somewhere. Sometimes it can be so hard to put our thoughts into actions. Let me give you some examples of my list of the many things I'd like to do on a consistent basis.

1. Read books
2. Read my Bible
3. Write a book or two
4. Blog
5. Eat healthier
6. Exercise
7. Listen to God
8. Write prophetic words for people
9. Seek God for guidance about Africa in my future
10. Finish reading my Bible front to back (Should have been done in August and I'm only in Hosea)
11. Journal to my future husband (I have a journal for him that I started in January 2010)
12. Finish my Ghana photo book
13. Make photo book for Mozambique trip in 2010
14. Make photo book from student teaching
15. Rest in God's presence

These things are on my mind constantly, and the Lord has blessed me with time right now, so I can work towards accomplishing these things, it is just a matter of starting somewhere. If I look at the long list, of course it will be overwhelming. There is no way I can do all of the above daily.

The Lord kindly asked me what am I doing to accomplish these tasks. And so, I reflected:

1. I want to read more, but I don't read my book often
*2. I want to read my Bible consistently, and I am doing better by studying Jesus and reading through Matthew
3. I want to write a book or two, but I don't sit down and start writing either of them
4. I want to blog more, but I can't get myself to sit down and do it. Do I continue to post and reflect on coming home from Ghana? What about before Ghana, the posts I wanted to share but never wrote? Do I post one of the many topics God's given me through journaling and reading His word since I've been back from Africa? Do I post on what I am going through now? There are so many choices and I don't know what to choose so I choose nothing.
*5. I want to eat healthier, and I have done what the Lord has told me to do that by changing what I am eating for a specific amount of time
6. I want to exercise, but I'm not getting off my butt and doing anything of that sort.
7. I want to listen to God, but I'm not taking time to be still and listen.
8. I want to write prophetic words for people, but I am not taking time to be still and ask God who He wants me to give a word to and what He wants me to say. It's simple, just takes time.
9. I want to know where God wants to take me in regards to Africa in the future, but I'm not asking Him persistently nor am I being active about my pursuit in the things He has revealed to me.
10. I want to finish reading my Bible front to back, but I'm not doing the daily reading from my plan, so how can I ever expect to finish it?
11. I want to write more journal entries to my future husband in his journal, but I don't do it when I think of it and then I get distracted by other things and never go back to it.
12. I want to finish my photo book I'm making for Ghana, but I am not making time to work on it.
13. I want to make a photo book from Mozambique 2010 trip to Africa, but I haven't started it.
14. I want to make a photo book from student teaching, but I haven't started it.
15. I want to rest in God's presence, but I choose not to

So, I am actually putting into action about 1/7th of what is on my list. When I began to reflect on all of the above, the Lord told me, Katie, just start somewhere. Do something. And so, I have decided to make some changes by starting somewhere. Note that this is a choice I am making, and you too, can choose to start somewhere on the list of things you want to accomplish. Part of starting somewhere is starting small. When you evaluate your list, come up with tasks that you are able to accomplish and don't be hard on yourself if you have one bad day or are unable to meet your committment for the week, but try again for next week and don't let it become a habit that you fall short on your new committments.

1. Everyday, I committ to reading for 30 minutes.
2. I will continue to read my Bible daily and study Jesus through the gospels
3. I will set aside one day/afternoon each week where I will work on solely writing my books.
4. I will committ to post two blogs each week at least.
5. I will continue with the committment God has told me to do in regards to eating healthier for the length of time He has placed on my heart
6. I will exercie 3 days a week for 30 minutes each at minimum. (Do some sort of cardio, even if it is a simple walk)
7. I will spend 10 minutes a day listening to God.
8. I will spend 10 minutes a day asking God for a word for someone
9. I will email the open doors and meet with people I need to about Africa, and be consistent about asking God what He wants for me. I will also listen for His direction and start saving money for a future trip to Africa.
10. I will complete the daily readings on my Daily Bible Reading plan to finish reading the Bible front to back
11. I will write journal entries to my husband the moment that they come to mind
12. I will complete two pages in my Ghana photo book everyday in order to complete it soon
13. I will begin a photo book from Mozambique trip and spend 30 minutes each day working on it
14. I will begin a photo book from Student teaching and spend 30 minutes each day working on it
15. I will listen to one worship song every day where I am resting in God's presence.

All that being said, what things do you think about doing but haven't yet for some reason or another? I know not everyone has as much free time as I do, but we have to make time in order to start somewhere. If we don't start somewhere, we will never accomplish any of the things we desire to do. I encourage you to make a list and get started with how you will make changes so that you can start somewhere on those things and begin to accomplish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment