Pages


My Life Verse

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, May 30, 2011

Africa.



As my journey of returning to Africa continues, I am full of mixed emotions. Of course I am very excited for it to almost be here! I am definitely looking forward to seeing the adorable children at Ryvanz-Mia Orphanage. I'm excited for what God is preparing for my team (BIG things). I am sad when I think about being far from family and friends, without quick and easy communication. I have no fear at all because God is with me and He is going before me. It amazes me how every time I go on a Missions trip, I always feel safe and never have any sort of fear. I walk in confidence of God's protection over me and whomever I am with at the time. It makes sense, because God is not a God of fear. I am nervous though about this big change. Nobody likes change, including me. But, I am choosing to walk into such a BIG change because I love God and He's made it very clear to me that He wants me to go to Ghana for the whole summer. :)



This entire trip has not been because of my doing at all. From the very beginning, it's been His way, not my way. I didn't want to go back to Africa when I came back last September. Little did I know I'd be returning 9 months later to a whole new part of Africa...all because of His will, not mine. He put a passion in my heart to go back to Africa starting in December and in January, He gave me $77.00 more than the deposit amount for the trip. He has been faithfully providing financially and spiritually every step of the way on this trip. He has guided me from church to church and encouraged me day after day through worship, prophetic words, His voice, and His word, all that directly relate to this journey. He's told me He'll provide everything I need to go to Ghana and everything I need to stay there for two months. He's told me He'll provide more than I can imagine. He's blowing me away daily as I take this step of faith.



Every time I pray for my team, I hear the word STRONG. We all hear God's voice very clearly and are sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading. We all recognize our authority in Christ over the enemy. We all know that Greater is He that is in Me than he that is in the world. This scripture comes to mind when I think about my team "Most assuredly, I say to he who believes in me, the works that I do he will do also; the greater works than these he will do because I go to the Father." John 14:12 Jesus said to His disciples, right before he ascended into Heaven: "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. All these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues, they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poision, it all not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16: 15-18 Obviously, we will not literally be drinking deadly poison or picking up snakes, but you get the idea. God has given us the power to heal the sick, drive out demons, and bring the Good News of the gospel to the Africans. The same power that raised Christ from the dead lives in us, so we have the ability to do these same things by activating our faith. We are God's disciples, follower's of Christ.


There is something exciting about having these Talking Bibles in my hands. I have a new passion to get each one paid for! We are each taking 35 in our luggage this time. $55.00 each. Let me know if you want to purchase one so someone can hear the word of God in Ghana.

My team consists of 10 people, 5 of which have been to Africa before. Many people on my my team work with children and love kids. Gayelee, our team leader, is the Pastor of the organization, Cross Connection outreach. Her daughter, Morgan, just graduated from High School and has a beautiful voice. Jay and Denise are the only married couple on our team, and will be celebrating their anniversary for  33 years of marriage on our trip. Nathan is a big hearted man who is in his 50's and he went on the same team as I did last year to Mozambique. He is always taking care of me and making sure I'm doing ok. (ok, maybe not just me...but the whole team) Kristal is a single mom who loves the Lord and plays the guitar and sings. She and Morgan will be our worship team. Brianna, my close friend, is a student at SDSU, loves kids, and is passionate about bringing the Talking Bibles to Ghanaians. Barbara is a 69 year old woman who attends theMovement church (she decided to go after Danielle and I gave our speal at the Woman's dinner!!) and she has never been on a Missions trip. Kristina is a Kindergarten teacher in Carlsbad and going to Bethel, School of the Supernatural in the fall. And, last but not least, myself, and you should all know me, but I'll categorize myself as a young woman pursuing God who will soon be a California Credentialed Teacher.




Recently, we found out that our team has been asked to go into a Leper colony in Ghana to bring hope with the Talking Bibles to the people who have Leprosy. We are SO excited! Nobody will get sickness, and we probably won't even touch the people. I believe we will see people healed from their Leprosy without even touching them, because the POWER of God is so strong through our team. What a lovely thing to show these isolated people that Jesus Loves them and we are there to show them we care about them because God cares about them, too. We also get the privelage to go into hospitals and pray for people. I believe we will see sick people get well, too. Many people, not just few, because God is powerful and wants everyone to be healed of any sickness or disease. And, of course our main focus will be getting the Talking Bibles into the hands of those who need to hear the word of God. We also get to do Vacation Bible School (VBS) with the kids at the Orphanage and maybe do some teachingswhen we go into different villages to distribute Talking Bibles. My team is going to be the FIRST team to go to Ghana and bring Talking Bibles through Cross Connection Outreach, so everything is new and tentative as far as our plans go for the trip. The team leader and her daughter are going one week early to meet with Becka, the young woman who they met at a conference and has been to Ghana twice. The language in Ghana that is recorded on the Talking Bible is EWE, pronounced "Airway", I think. This is just one dialect in Ghana, for the region of Kpando, where we will be staying during our trip.

Many of you may be wondering as time is winding down, what else do I need? Well, it's funny because as I am preparing to go to a third world country with many poor people, I begin to find that there is not too much I "need". Most "needs" become "wants". As of now, I still need $646.00 to cover the cost for the rest of my two week stay with the team in Kpando. And I still need $1,000.00 for my two months after that while I stay with Becka and travel to Accra, Prampram, and Kpando in Ghana. If God puts it on your heart to give to either of those needs, just let me know. I'm honestly not worried about finances because of all that God has told me and provided so far! :) Aside from finances, I do need a few things that I haven't purchased yet because I'm waiting for my trip to get paid for first. If you'd like to buy any of the following for me, let me know so I don't get it. :)
-Mosquito Net ($15.00)
-Inside Liner for sleeping bag to act as a blanket, not knowing whether sheets will be clean and so forth ($10.00)
-Travel Size Pillow
-Toilet Paper
-Pepper spray (just in case!)
-Adapter to charge my phone and camera (220 volts)
-Large bag of Jolly Ranchers (the kids LOVE these!)
-Large luggage (someone is lending me some, I just haven't picked it up yet)
-Small pencil sharpeners and any other school supplies for the kids at the Orphanage
-Feminine Urinary Director, aka "pee funnel" ($25.00) yes, it is a need so I can pee in the bush standing up because I did not do so well with squatting last year :)

Somehow I have managed to lose my ipod, and all of my itunes actually deleted somehow. It's frustrating, but life goes on. What can you do? I may try to go to the apple store and see if they can recover my itunes music somehow. That is one thing I was bummed about though because the kids in Africa appear to LOVE music and dancing (if you've seen the video, you know what I mean) and I was hoping to bring an ipod with a mini speaker thing so that the kids and I can have dance parties. I'm praying and believing that my itunes music will get restored, my ipod will miraculously show up or someone will give me one, or I'll have the funds to buy one, and the ipod speakers will also be a gift from someone or God will give me the money for it. I know I can survive without all the above, but worship music on the 11 hour plane ride would be lovely as well as all that I said above. God will work it all out though, because He works all things together for our good according to Romans 8:28.

God knows my "wants" and is already blessing me. A friend of mine is letting me borrow his small video camera so that I can capture my whole journey on video. Another friend of mine is looking into getting an inexpensive, small, laptop such as a netbook so that I can have Skype and communicate via internet, Lord willing. And, it would be helpful to upload photos and videos as I go, plus write up a blog and/or email before I get to the Internet Cafe since the internet is slow. I know I don't need this though, because I can easily get extra memory cards for the video camera and my digital camera and my journal serves in place of writing blogs/emails. I already have shoes and clothes from last year.

The biggest need right now is honestly PRAYER. This morning I read "Remember, the enemy always fights the hardest when he knows God has something great in store for you." With just 17 days left, the attacks of the enemy are strong and present. Please pray for the following:

Before the trip:
-Strength to stand against the enemy's schemes
-Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and His leading
-Time to be used wisely and effectively
-Attitude towards others to be the same as Jesus Christ
-Preparations for the trip to come together- VBS, finances, unity among the team
-Health for the entire team, that no one get sick before we travel

During the trip, for the team:
-God's provision financially and spiritually
-God's protection both physically and spiritually
-Unity among our team
-Open hearts for the team and the people we will be ministering to
-Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's leading
-Health: remain free of any illness or disease while in Africa
-Divine Appointments

During the trip, for me:
-All of the above continues
-Adapting to changes/challenges: eating, sleeping arrangements, humid weather, bathroom situation, bugs, cold showers
-Remember why I'm there and be joyful through the challenges as listed above
-God to reveal more of His will and purpose for my life as a potential Missionary in Africa

As I prepare, I recognize some things that will be challenging for me and cause me to wonder why God chose me to go be a Missionary in Africa:
-I don't like/know how to "pee in bush"
-I don't do well in different weather environments (it will be HUMID in Ghana, downpouring once daily)
-I am a picky eater (And will need to eat lots of stuff out there that I probably won't like)
-I take hot showers (and I will be taking cold shower in Ghana unless I want to heat up my water beforehand)
-I don't like being far from family and friends
-I don't like BUGS.
Despite all of the above that I am not looking forward to and is a big part of my experience in Africa, it is outweighed by the adorable children. And, we don't always do just what we like to do for the Lord. I didn't choose to go and do this, but God chose me, so I will go in confidence, with excitement.

Please keep me in your prayers as you can see based on above I need prayer. :)

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16

I've attached the Youtube Video that Morgan, a girl who went to Ryvanz-Mia Orphanage before, created. It's absolutely adorable and gets me excited to meet these kids every time I see it! That is where I will be living most of the time when I am in Africa.



Thank you for joining me on this journey and for all of your support! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment